I love this little book...I buy several at a time and give them out as needed. If you don't have one, pick it up and have a light bulb moment!
Here are a couple of Mr Pollan's rules for you to follow:
1. Eat Food (real food)
2. Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize.
3. Avoid food products containing ingredients that no ordinary human would keep in the pantry. (Ethoxylated diglycerides, Cellulose, Xanthan gum?)
4. Avoid food products that contain high-fructose corn syrup.
5. Avoid foods that have some form of sugar (or sugar sweetener) listed among the top 3 ingredients.
6. Avoid food products that contain more than five ingredients.
7. Avoid food products that a third-grader cannot pronounce.
8. Avoid food products that make health claims.
13.Eat only food that will eventually rot. (Have you ever seen the video of the McDonalds meal after 4 YEARS? It looks exactly the same as fresh! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh1tUBAW8Sg I'm not sure this link works...If not, go to youtube and search: 4 year old mcdonald cheeseburger by diet.com)
20. It's not food if it arrived through the window of your car......See above
There are little explanations to why each rule is stated as well....So If you want nutritional guidance for you and your family (what are we feeding our kids??) pick up Miachel Pollans book Food Rules an Eaters Manual. It's an eye opener! And you may laugh as well ;)
"Success is not a place that we aspire to, it is a process in which we live by. Often the only ingredient being the ability to not quit"
- author unkown