Here are six things that you can do to change up your current routine.
- Shock your body. Moving from one exercise to the next without rest. For example, push ups to chest presses, crunches to a plank, front lateral raise to an over head press, walking lunges to squats...no rest, keep moving until you've fatigued every body part.
- Slow down. Slow down the repetitions...4 count down, 4 count up with a definite stop at the bottom and top.
- Step it up. After a regular set of weighted exercise perform a set quickly with out weights. example...forward lunges with dumbbells and a set of jump lunges. Back Squats (bar on rear deltoids) and quick squats with out weight. Chest flys to push ups...get the idea?
- Get off the ground. Plyometrics...leaping, jumping or skipping quickly. Add that in between sets or circuit training...2 sets of a regular exercise and 2 sets of plyometrics!
- Split the difference. Do a full rep of an exercise and then just do half of the same exercise...fire up those muscles!
- Mix in the cardio. Make the most of the time in between sets...Grab a jump rope! Do a set of chest presses and jump rope for 1 minute, repeat through out your entire full body workout! Wa-la! Your own boot camp!
At the beginning of any task, more than anything else, your attitude will affect it's successful outcome.