Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

I know...Samson is growing so fast!!
I just got a book about the healthiest 150 foods. I love it!

My mom suffers from macular degeneration, which is hereditary... Pumpkin is very high in lutein and zeaxanthin, which are fast becoming the star nutrients in eye health and vision protection programs.
Not to mention 33% more potassium in one cup, than a banana! Plus 12,000 IUs of vitamin A!

So it got me thinking...pumpkin pie :) SMOOTHIE!! My new "Green Goodness Smoothie"

1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/2 cup organic Pumpkin
1tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 scoop Vanilla protein
1 1/2 cup fresh Spinach (How can I leave out spinach?!)
1 packet Stevia
Ice
Blend all together. It makes about 20 oz. Perfect for an afternoon snack.

Calories 235
Fat 5.5g
Carbs 23g
Fiber 10g
Protein 29g

Potassium also helps with muscle cramps, so this would also make a great after workout smoothie too. Spinach is fabulous as well! High in vitamin K, critically important in building strong bones. Spinach is also high in calcium, vitamin A, manganese, folic acid, magnesium, iron, vitamin C and a powerful anti-inflammatory compound called quercetin. And...LUTEIN! Protects against vision loss...
Come on give it a try! You can't even taste the spinach ;)

You must begin wherever you are ~ Jack Boland

1 comment:

  1. I have been making strawberry, Greek yogurt and protein smoothies and wondered what would happen if I added some kale. Do you just use a regular blender? I was worried the blender wouldn't make the kale smooth, but I'm gonna have to try now!!

    ReplyDelete