Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Nutrition ....Calories in...Calories out...

It makes perfect sense! To lose weight you must burn more calories than you take in. Right? Well think this way... 3500 calories equals 1 pound of body fat. One hour of vigorous exercise (your choice) can burn any where between 400-800 calories! Depending on your age, how fit you are and how hard you are actually working. Now...I'm 42 and am pretty fit...On my best day, I have only burned about 625 calories in one hour! I don't know about you, but I can consume 600 calories in less than 15 minutes! If I don't watch what I'm eating that is!

Don't think "Well, I just exercised for an hour! I can eat what I want!" Sure you can... if your young, have a high metabolism and are naturally thin!

Then there is this mode..."Well, if I only eat my BMR (basal  metabolic rate: how many calories your body needs to survive if you just sat on the couch and peed your pants all day!) and exercise vigorously daily, maybe twice a day...I'll lose twice as much weight! Well kind of...Your body will burn everything! Muscle and fat. Muscle first...then the fat. Your metabolism will take a nose dive! Then your body will quit losing weight because you are starving it! Your hair may fall out or break off, your skin will go to pot, and you'll pretty much feel like crap!  And be starving on top of it all! So, good luck on the exercising thing...twice a day...I don't think so!

So what is a girl to do? Eat my friend! Every 3 hours...a nice mix of lean protein and complex carbohydrates. You will keep your metabolism going all day, burning fat! Yay! You will not be hungry one second! Just watch portion sizes...4 ounces of lean protein and all of the veggies you want!

It is a hard thing to absorb...eat more to lose...Trust me...I know! I went from eating 1200 calories a day, teaching 11 hours of high intensity classes a week and not able to shed those last 10 pounds! To 1650 calories consisting of lean protein and complex carbs and lost 3 pounds in a week! No kidding! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wowza!! And....I know I should know this...but what's a complex carb????

    ReplyDelete
  2. A complex carb is a vegetable. A starchy carb is pasta, rice, bread etc... More complex less starchy ;)

    ReplyDelete