Thursday, July 7, 2011

Home made Jam

I was concerned about the amount of sugar I was feeding my boys. Namely...Jam. So I bought sugar free jam. First I was concerned with only the sugar content, which was 0. However after I brought it home I looked at the ingredients...Polydextrose, Maltodextrin, locust bean gum, potassium sorbate, sucralose, calcium chloride, and red 40. Really?! No sugar but what the heck is all that junk?  I came across a recipe for jam, it called for sugar, but I substituted Stevia instead! I had a bunch of strawberries from Costco, I rinsed and halved them in a pot on the stove over medium heat. Added some lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon and 1/4 cup of stevia. Mashed it all up with a potato masher and walla....Strawberry Jam! I also had blueberries in the fridge too. So I thought what the heck...I did the same thing. They were both so good! The jam will last a month in the fridge and a year in the freezer. Not that you'll have it that long! The boys loved it! In fact that is the second jar of strawberry jam in the picture.
So, we were having dinner tonight and were talking about our trip to Mexico a few years ago. Dane and I had banana crepes. Yummmmm! My husband thought that the blueberry jam would be a great addition to the banana crepe. As I mixed the crepe batter (1/2 cup flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 cup fat free milk, and 2 eggs slightly beaten) and fried them in a fry pan, he grilled bananas! I have to say they were terrific! And low in calories! Each crepe is 58 calories, he halved the bananas (about 50 calories) and the blueberry jam was maybe like 20 calories... for a grand total of 128 calories! Wonderful flavor and not laden with sugar! Perfect! Try them out the next time you have a ton of strawberries or blueberries...Or blackberries, raspberries...I could go on and on!!! Think about your kids :)


"Don't sacrifice your future for a momentary pleasure"

1 comment:

  1. I just made Pam's Jam a few weeks ago too....I didn't do the Stevia thing though :( Next time!

    ReplyDelete